Located in beautiful Southwest Colorado, Mesa Verde Country is within easy driving distance of several gateway cities, including Denver, Albuquerque, Salt Lake, Phoenix and Las Vegas. The scenic drive takes you through the beautiful scenery of Southern Colorado. See below for driving directions to Mesa Verde National Park.
Mesa Verde Country is the perfect location for a great American road trip. It is home to Trail of the Ancients National Scenic Byway, the only byway dedicated solely to archaeology. Trail of the Ancients transverses the spectacular landscapes of Mesa Verde Country— but be sure to get out of the car and enjoy all the incredible archaeology the byway has to offer!
Mesa Verde Country is part of The Grand Circle, America’s largest concentration of National Parks. Visit the Grand Circle website for more information. To help plan your next southwestern vacation, visit our Four Corners Daytrips and Mesa Verde Country Daytrips pages to discover all the adventures awaiting you in Mesa Verde Country. We even have a 7-Day Itinerary for your consideration!
Driving Directions to Mesa Verde
|FROM CORTEZ TO:||MILES||HRS|
|Albuquerque, New Mexico||252||5.5|
|Grand Canyon – South Rim||368||6.5|
|Grand Canyon – North Rim||340||7.5|
|Grand Junction, Colorado||204||4.0|
|Page (Lake Powell), Arizona||211||4.5|
|Salt Lake City, Utah||356||7.0|
|El Paso, Texas||528||9.5|
|Los Angeles, California||730||13.0|
From the Northwest
- 1. Take US-491 S
- 2. Turn left onto W Empire St for 2 miles
- 3. Turn right onto State St for .2 miles
- 4. Turn left onto US-160 E for 8 miles
- 5. Take the exit toward Mesa Verde National Park from US-160 W
- 6. Turn left onto Mesa Top Ruins Rd in Montezuma County
From the East
- 1. Take US-160 W
- 2. Take the exit toward Mesa Verde National Park from US-160 W
- 3. Turn left onto Mesa Top Ruins Rd in Montezuma County
From the South
- 1. Take US-491 N
- 2. Keep right to continue on US-160 E/W Main St, follow signs for I-160
- 3. Take the exit toward Mesa Verde National Park from US-160 W
- 4. Turn left onto Mesa Top Ruins Rd in Montezuma County
What is the Nearest Airport to Mesa Verde?
The closest airport to Mesa Verde is the Cortez, CO (CEZ) airport. There are affordable daily flights connecting Cortez (CEZ) to Denver International Airport (DEN) if you prefer to fly.
Transportation Around Mesa Verde
A vehicle is needed to explore Mesa Verde National Park. If you plan on flying in, you can rent a vehicle from many different companies when you land at the Cortez airport. You can also travel by bike or join an Aramark Tour if you are planning to bring an RV or do not have a car. Visit the National Park Service website for additional information on travel restrictions and getting around the park.