Adjacent to the Center are the 12th century archaeological sites named after the Spanish Franciscan friars who were the first to record prehistoric sites in Colorado. The Dominguez site is located right outside the Museum building and consists of four rooms with low stone walls--all that remains of the structure constructed around A.D. 1123.
Escalante Pueblo, located a half-mile walk up the hill from the Museum, experienced three periods of habitation. The main complex constructed in A.D. 1129 was a Chacoan outlier, part of the vast trading network with the people at Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. After a short abandonment the pueblo was reoccupied about A.D. 1150. A final occupation of very short duration occurred sometime around A.D. 1200. Two kivas were part of the Pueblo, but only one has been excavated. The trail to Escalante also provides an opportunity to learn about native plants. A guidebook is available in the museum.